April 22, 2016, Atlanta, GA – South Arts has announced the 21 screening partners participating in the 2016-2017 Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers. Southern Circuit, the national’s original regional tour of independent films and filmmakers, coordinates multi-week tours for invited filmmakers and their work. Filmmakers participate in community screenings and audience engagement activities. This season’s screening partners include organizations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
“Touring filmmakers attend community screenings and participate in audience discussions about their work and the art of filmmaking. Southern Circuit not only supports the work of indie filmmakers, but encourages the development of independent film audiences,” stated Teresa Hollingsworth, Senior Program Director at South Arts.
This season’s screening partners include 15 returning organizations and educational institutes:
- Arts Council of Central Louisiana, Alexandria, LA
- City of Hapeville, Association of Trade & Tourism, Hapeville, GA
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
- Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art, Auburn University, Auburn, AL
- Mary B. Martin School of the Arts, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN
- Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs, Cutler Bay, FL
- Oxford College of Emory University, Oxford, GA
- Presbyterian College, Clinton, SC
- The Tennessee Valley Art Association, Tuscumbia, AL
- Troy University, Troy, AL
- Union College, Barbourville, KY
- Union County Community Arts Council, Wingate, NC
- Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC
- Winder Cultural Arts Center, Winder, GA
New screening partners for 2016-2017 include:
- Broward College Foundation, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- City of Roswell, Roswell, GA
- Crossroads Film Society, Jackson, MS
- Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA
- Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, AL
- North Central Louisiana Arts Council, Ruston, LA
- Tropic Cinema/Key West Film Society, Key West, FL
Screening partners select touring films and filmmakers based on recommendations from a panel of industry experts. Eighteen films and their directors will be invited to tour on one of three planned “circuits.” Each organization will present six films and filmmakers as part of the Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers from September 2016 through April 2017. A complete schedule including all films will be available on each of the screening partners’ websites as well as southarts.org later this summer.
About South Arts
South Arts, a nonprofit regional arts organization was founded in 1975 to build on the South’s unique heritage and enhance the public value of the arts. South Arts’ work responds to the arts environment and cultural trends with a regional perspective. South Arts offers an annual portfolio of activities designed to address the role of the arts in impacting the issues important to our region, and to link the South with the nation and the world through the arts. For more information, visit www.southarts.org.
Contact: Teresa Hollingsworth,
Program Director, Southern Circuit
(404) 874-7244 ext.14