Advancing Traditional Arts in the SouthSee All News
Announcing the Latest Traditional Arts Touring Grant Recipients
Supporting the presentation of traditional artists throughout the South.
Traditional Arts Touring Grants aim to increase the public awareness, understanding, and appreciation of the traditional arts in the South by bringing artists together in Southern communities. The 2021 Traditional Arts Touring grant recipients receive up to $5,000 to engage a traditional artist/ensemble for multi-day residencies in their community. Traditional Arts Touring Grants are made possible through a partnership with the National Endowment for the Arts.
- LEAF Global Arts. Asheville, NC
- Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. Orlando, FL
- Vermilion Parish School Board. Abbeville, LA
- The Rhythm Foundation. Miami Beach, FL
- City of Hopkinsville. Hopkinsville, KY
- Piedmont Blues Preservation Society. Greensboro, NC
Meet the Inaugural Cohort of the Emerging Traditional Artists Program
The 22 traditional artists will convene with their peers over multiple years, and receive $5,000 grants to support learning opportunities strengthening their impact within their respective communities.
The Emerging Traditional Artists Program, part of our In These Mountains initiative, recognizes and supports a new generation of traditional artists that have demonstrated a high level of skill in, commitment to, and leadership in their traditional art form in Appalachian Regional Commission counties in Kentucky, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
The selected participants receive financial support to aid their continuation of traditional knowledge and artistic skills within their respective cultural communities. In addition to receiving funds supporting projects, participants will convene (online and in person) over this multi-year program, developing connections and gaining experience in the field.
The 2021 Emerging Traditional Artists Program cohort includes:
- Allie Dudley. Brasstown, North Carolina. Craft/Material Culture
- Andrew Finn Magill. Asheville, North Carolina. Music
- Bonnie Lenneman. Brasstown, North Carolina. Foodways
- Bradford Harris. Loyall, Kentucky. Craft/Material Culture; Music
- Brian Melton. Knoxville, Tennessee. Craft/Material Culture
- Carrie Carter. Whitesburg, Kentucky. Music
- Cody Bauer. Knoxville, Tennessee. Music
- Darrius Flowers. Pilot Mountain, North Carolina. Music
- Delia Turner. Murphy, North Carolina. Craft/Material Culture
- Eliot Smith. Boone, North Carolina. Craft/Material Culture
- Ian Kirkpatrick. New Tazewell, Tennessee. Music
- Jackson Grimm. Otto, North Carolina. Music
- Malcolm Davis. Paint Lick, Kentucky. Music
- Micah Wiles. Somerset, Kentucky. Craft/Material Culture
- Nathan Bush. Robbinsville, North Carolina. Craft/Material Culture
- Robbie Teasdale. Richmond, Kentucky. Craft/Material Culture
- Saro Lynch-Thomason. Asheville, North Carolina. Music
- Shaina Naillieux. Jackson, Kentucky. Craft/Material Culture
- Sienna Shute. Murphy, North Carolina. Craft/Material Culture
- Trevor McKenzie. Boone, North Carolina. Music
- Tyrique Brown. Johnson City, Tennessee. Music
- William Ritter. Bakersville, North Carolina. Foodways; Craft/Material Culture. Music
- Willow Keasler. Saxapahaw, North Carolina. Music