Louisiana artist Hannah Chalew named 2022 Southern Prize recipientSee All News
At the September 1, 2022, awards ceremony celebrating the 2022 State Fellows, Hannah was named the Southern Prize Winner and Tennessee's Sarah Elizabeth Cornejo was named the Southern Prize Finalist.
At the sixth annual Southern Prize and State Fellowships award ceremony held at the Bo Bartlett Center in Columbus, GA on September 1, Louisiana artist Hannah Chalew was named the 2022 Southern Prize winner receiving an award of $25,000. The Southern Prize Finalist, receiving a $10,000 award, is Tennessee artist Sarah Elizabeth Cornejo. Both Southern Prize recipients also receive a two-week residency at the Hambidge Center for the Creative Arts and Sciences.
They are among the nine State Fellowship recipients, each of whom received a $5,000 award, currently featured in an exhibition on display at the Bo Bartlett Center through December 10, 2022, before touring to additional locations across the region next year.
"Congratulations to Hannah, Sarah, and all of this year's State Fellowship recipients," said Neil Barclay, board chair for South Arts. "This cohort of artists represents the diversity in voices, thought, technique, and style of our region, and we are honored to support their work with these awards."
The nine 2022 Southern Prize and State Fellowship recipients are:
- Jenny Fine. Multidisciplinary. Alabama Fellow.
- GeoVanna Gonzalez. Multidisciplinary. Florida Fellow.
- Antonio Darden. Sculpture. Georgia Fellow.
- Crystal Gregory. Sculpture. Kentucky Fellow.
- Hannah Chalew. Mixed Media. Louisiana Fellow and Southern Prize Winner.
- Gloria Gipson Suggs. Painting. Mississippi Fellow.
- Marcus Dunn. Painting. North Carolina Fellow.
- Brittany M. Watkins. Mixed Media. South Carolina Fellow.
- Sarah Elizabeth Cornejo. Sculpture. Tennessee Fellow and Southern Prize Finalist.
Meet Hannah Chalew, Louisiana Fellow and Southern Prize Winner Meet Sarah Elizabeth Cornejo, Tennessee Fellow and Southern Prize Finalist Meet the 2022 State Fellows